The Museum of Natural History in Milan or in Italian Museo di Storia Naturale is a very large museum. On more than 5,500 square meters thousands of specimens of plants, animals, minerals, fossils are exhibited. We can easily say that the entire natural world is presented here.
The Museum of Natural History is one of the oldest and most important museums in Milan. It is divided into 7 sections engaged in two main activities: scientific research in various fields of expertise and the conservation of nature, preservation and increase of the collections, deposited in this institution:
- Botany (Italian, European, Brazilian, wild and cultivated vascular plants as well as small collections of algae, fungus, lichens, bryophytes, fruits and seeds).
- Entomology (insects of various orders, more than 1.100.000 specimens).
- Mineralogy (14,000 mineral specimens from all around the world ).
- Paleontology (must see: the collection of seven skeletons of dinosaurs and the reconstruction of a Triceratops )
- Palaeoethnology "Ottavio Castiglioni Cornaggia" (artifacts from the Paleolithic to the Iron Age, more than 4000 exhibits).
- Zoology of Invertebrates (13,000 arachnids and 4,200 collective samples from more than 1,200 species, preserved in alcohol).
- Zoology of Vertebrates (70,000 specimens of vertebrates).
This Museum is highly recommendable for children due to a fact that they will be able to see preserved animals from different ecosystems and to learn many things they did not know about the planet and its species.
Most of the descriptions are in Italian language.
Ticket prices for the Museum of Natural History in Milan
price is: 5 Euros (€).
price is: 3 Euros (€).
(!) Free entrance:
all Fridays from 14:00h and every day during the last working hour (last entrance 17:00h).
FREE ENTRANCE -
individuals younger than 18 years old, teachers accompanying students, tourist guides and interpreters accompanying groups, the disable.
- University students and adults over 65 years old.
Working hours of the Museum of Natural History in Milan
From Tuesday to Sunday working hours of the museum are: 9:00-17:30h
(last entrance 17:00h).
Museum is closed
- all Mondays, 1st
May and 25th