Sarajevo or Sheher, as it used to be called is located in the heart of the Balkan, so it is an ideal starting point for those who want to visit this region. Here visitors will have the unique opportunity to meet eastern and western cultures. Sarajevo is popularly called the European Jerusalem. On this page you will be able to see the full list of the most well-known tourist attractions (tourist sight) of Venice. The list is interactive and your votes are the only criteria we use for rating the attractions.
Baščaršija is a famous tourist destination and is located in the heart of Sarajevo. It was built around year 1460 by Isa-beg Isakovic. The name Baščaršija originates from the Turkish words " baš" meaning "main" and "čaršija" meaning "square, market". At that time, Baščaršija became a shopping center with 12,000 stores and its importance was evidenced by the presence of Venetian, Dubrovnik and Florentine colonies. On the square, around the stores, there was a "sebilj" (a public fountain).
Gazi Husrev-bey Mosque is a masterpiece of Ottoman architecture. The mosque was built in 1531 as a "vakuf" (endowment) of Gazi Husref bey who was a grandson of Bajazit ll. He spent a part of his wealth on the urbanization of Sarajevo. The Bey's mosque was built in the early Romanesque style by the project architect Adjem Esir Ali, from Persia. The mosque was built out of stone from Bosnia and Herzegovina and had no facade at the time. The first thing to notice are the stone pillars and arches. The main entrance is styled with arabesques, ornaments and gilding.
The Clock Tower is located in the heart of Baščaršija and is one of the remaining clock towers from the Ottoman period. It was built by Gazi Husrev-beg in the seventeenth century. Standing proudly for centuries, the Clock Tower showed not only time to the population, but also the time for their prayer. In order to make the clock more visible, after the fire in 1697, the upper part of the tower was added. The only entrance on the tower is on the site of the former clock. The arches at the top remind of former loopholes.
The Goat's Bridge is located in the canyon of the river Miljacka, three kilometers east from the city of Sarajevo. The bridge actually used to connect two sides of land with a road called "Constantinople's road", which, during the Ottoman rule, connected Sarajevo to the eastern parts of the empire, all the way to Constantinople. It was also the only road that led to the exit from Sarajevo. The data regarding the bridge construction is scarce. The bridge is 42 meters long and 4.75 meters wide.
The White Fortress is located on a hill near Sarajevo’s city area Vratnik. Tabia was erected on the site where medieval fortress was built around 1550. The fort is believed to have been built on the remains of the city of Hodidjed. White Foretress was named after the white stone it was made of, and it is believed that the stones were bound with white while the walls were smeared with milk. Archaeological research has shown that the oldest part of the fort was built in the Middle Ages.