Odeums used to be comparatively small theatres in the ancient Greece and Rome in which orators and musicians regularly performed. The Odeum in the Town of Kos was constructed in the 2nd century AD its size was 30x32m and it was 12 meters high. In the ancient times it could host 750 spectators. The Odeum in Kos was discovered by the Italian archeologist Laurenzi in 1929, during the Italian occupation of the island.
Despite the fact that the auditorium was originally designed for hosting musical competitions, it was also used as the seat for the local senate. Originally this theatre had 14 rows of seats most of which have been restored.