Even though it is the closest island to the city center, this island is characteristic for its perfectly green forests, its beaches and its cultural heritage. A very popular tourist site, it is particularly recognizable for its monastery ruins, flora and fauna. Ferries travel to this island all year round, embarking from the Aker Brygge pier. A great place for mountaineering, Høvedia also provides its visitors with excellent beaches perfect for swimming, and there is even a volleyball court in the middle of the island.
The island is also famous for the ruins of a monastery opened on 18th May 1147, and burnt down in 1532, as well as two cannons dating back to the year 1808. Parts of the ruins of the monastery are still on the island, but a large part of the stone debris was used for the enlargement of Akershus fortress in the 17th century. The island was even used for constructing military bases, one of which, Lavetthuset, is now used for exhibitions.