The Archeological museum in Venice is one of the museums that belong to the group of San Mark Square Museums. It is connected to the Museum Correr and it seems as an integral part of it. Even though the collection consists of some of the very old and important artifacts, to some tourists it may seem a bit small especially in comparison to certain other archeological museums, for example in Rome.
Archeological museum in Venice is connected to the Museum Correr as well as to Marciana Library via internal passages, confusing the tourists regarding where one museum ends and another starts. It offers a glance into the once most developed societies in Europe (ancient Rome and Greece) through numerous statues, coins, stone artifacts etc.
The collection consists of around 11 relatively small rooms that exhibit:
- A numismatic collection of around 9000 pieces that originate from different time periods starting with the Greek age and finishing with the Byzantine period.
- Roman copies of Greek statues that date back to the period from the 5th century BC to the first centuries AD.
- Original Greek statues date back to the 4th and 5th century BC.
- Other precious objects such as gems, ivory objects and silver pottery.
- Roman portrait sculptures that date back to 1-3AD and depict some of very important characters of the Roman Empire: Pompey, Imperator Augustus, several other emperors as well as numerous members of the imperial family.
It is also worth mentioning that the museum management decided to make the whole collection more interesting by organizing it in a chronological order, which offers a chance to observe the evolution of ancient art through different time periods.
Ticket prices for the Archeological Museum in Venice
This ticket is valid for several museums around San Marko square: Palazzo Ducale, Museum Correr, The National Archeological Museum and Marcana Library.
Regular price: 19 Euros (€)
Reduced price: 12 Euros (€)
Before you decide to visit this museum we advise you to check the prices on the official web page of the Archeological Museum in Venice
Working hours of the Archeological Museum in Venice
From April 1 to October31 working hours are: Monday - Sunday 10:00-19:00h.
From November 1 to March 31 working hours are: Monday - Sunday 10:00-17:00h.
Museum is closed:
January 1, December 25.