The Museum of Yugoslav History in Belgrade is dedicated to the country that no longer exists-Yugoslavia. There are many that proudly remember it and just a few who would like to erase it from their memories. However, with a historical distance, it seems that this country was prosperous and united due to the charisma of its leader- Josip Broz Tito.
The Museum is composed of three buildings: The House of Flowers (where both the president Josip Broz Tito and his wife Jovanka Broz were buried), the old museum and the museum 25th of May. The main purpose of the museum is to cover the history of Yugoslavia in the 20th century with special attention to the life and work of Josip Broz Tito.
Museum 25th of May was a gift of the city of Belgrade to Josip Broz for his 70th birthday in 1962. The museum was opened with the aim of exhibiting all of the gifts Broz received as the president of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Since it had been decided that 25th of May should be celebrated as the day of the youth, the program of the museum was oriented to the young population. In the museum numerous batons were exhibited (of different shapes made all around Yugolavia) and were organized encounters of young individuals with numerous international and domestic artists.
The House of Flowers- with its 902 square meters was constructed in 1970 as a winter greenhouse for Josip Broz Tito. The original architectural solution included all the necessary rooms for the work and relocation for the lifetime president of Yugoslavia. According to his wish, Josip Broz was buried here in 1980, while his wife Jovanka Broz was buried on the same spot in 2013. This building was in near proximity of the villa which was once the residence of the president. Apart from everything mentioned, this building also had a terrace which offered a panoramic view on Belgrade.
The Old Museum is the third building that belongs to the Museum of the Yugoslav History. This building, constructed in 1965, was used for exhibiting gifts Josip Broz Tito received during his presidency on numerous official visits as well as during his birthdays. The building has the same purpose even today and visitors will be able to see some impressive gifts from all over the world which Tito received during his life.
Apart from three previously mentioned buildings, the park of the museum is also a well-known attraction. The sculptures made by Yugoslavian artists which once adorned the residence of Josip Broz Tito are exhibited in this park.
Josip Broz Tito
Josip Broz was born in Kumrovec on May 7th 1892 as the seventh child in 17 member family (a family with 15 children). During the Second World War, Josip was the leader of the National Liberation Partisan Movement fighting the two occupational armies (Nazi Germany and Italy). Tito was wounded during the battle of Sutjeska in 1943. In August 1944, he met with Churchill in Naples, while in September the same year he met with Stalin in Moscow. In October 1944, he entered the liberated Belgrade. In 1953, Josip Broz Tito became the president of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia and remained on the same position until his death in 1980. Tito was also one of the founders of the Non-Aligned Movement which was composed of numerous countries from Africa, South America and Asia. This movement was founded with the aim of political and economical cooperation of countries which were not aligned with one of two power blocks- NATO block and the block of the Warsaw Pact.
Ticket prices for the Museum of Yugoslav History in Belgrade
Regular ticket price is: 400 RSD.
Reduced ticket price is: 200 RSD.
Reduced price: children, students and retired individuals.
Free entrance: every first Tuesday in a month (from 16:00 to 22:00h) 4, 18, 25, May, children younger than 7 years, disabled individuals.
We advise you to check ticket prices and working hours before visiting – check the official website of the Museum of Yugoslav History.
Working hours of the Museum of Yugoslav History
From Tuesday to Sunday working hours of the museum are: 10:00-18:00h.
The museum is closed on Mondays