The Buća Family Palace

The Buća Family Palace

THE BUĆA PALACE was annexed to the Palace Beskuca. The palace was built in the 14th century and belonged to the most significant and richest manor family, the family named Buća. Unfortunately, the weather and earthquakes greatly affected the appearance of this palace. Buca Palace is quite simple, but the impressive family coat of arms is still above the main entrance of the palace. This family had three  personalities:
Trifun Buća, the deputy of the Serbian king Milutin at the court of the pope in Avignon and Charles se Valo, the brother of the French king. Famous Trifun Buća was granted the right to put a symbol of a lily flower in the family coat of arms, which was a symbol of French kings.
Nikola Buća, the commander of the armor of Kotor in the army of Emperor Dušan, in 1330, the battle of Velbužd. Nikola held the status of Duke of the Comedians at Dusan's court, as well as the status of Dusan's deputy in Venice.
Mihailo Buća had the status of deputy  in Dubrovnik in Venice in behald of the tzar Dusan, and he was also the richest citizen of Kotor at that time.
In 1667, the palace was destroyed in an earthquake. During this period, the Buća family did not have enough money to renovate the family home, so the new owners remodeled the house to their liking. On the Buca palace, one can see more styles, where Baroque and Gothic ones dominate, but also two coats of arms - the coat of arms of the Buća family and the coat of arms of the Pasquali family, which bought the palace in the eighteenth century and changed its appearance.

Author of the text:

Marijana Niković licensed tourist guide for Montenegro.
If you are interested in guided tours in English, please contact me at:
(Viber) 00382 68 230 241

Contact uses cookies to improve and personalize the content and ads. Find out more about cookies and how to opt-out of tracing cookies in our Privacy policy.