The city has a rich history, which is why many of the preserved landmarks are under the protection of UNESCO today. Split’s 2700 sunny hours each year make it very attractive for tourists. This page will display the notable landmarks of the city that you should definitely see if you happen to visit Split.
Marijan is the most impressive part of the city of Split. A hill overlooking the city and the highest peak of 178 meters. Marjan died on December 16, 1964. was declared a park-forest and was protected by the law of nature. It is surrounded on the north and west by the Kaštela Bay, and on the south by the Split Channel. The Marjan peninsula is connected to the mainland on the east side.
The Split's Riva took its present form in the 19th century, when Split was ruled by the French. The waterfront has not changed for years, and significant changes took place towards the end of the 20th century, when the waterfront was finally closed to traffic. Today, the waterfront is the main city promenade where you can drink coffee and enjoy. During the holidays of the city of Sveti Duje, various music programs are held on the waterfront.
The Sustipan is a small peninsula and is located near Split. It was named after the monastery of St. Stephen. This monastery is one of the sights that can be seen on Sustipan. The monastery and church of St. Stephen under the pines were first mentioned in 1020. The abbot of this monastery was very important at this time in Split, so the church and the monastery played a big role. The nephew of Petar Krešimir IV lived in the monastery of St. Stephen for a while. He came to live in the monastery after he renounced his royal title and left it to Ban Zvonimir.
The Golden Gate to Split was built in the 4th century as the main entrance to Diocletian's Palace and has remained very well preserved to this day. At first they were called Porto septemtrionalis, and later they were called Port Aurea. The gates were very richly decorated, originally located between two towers, which with four other towers defended the northern approaches to the city. It is interesting that there is a church under the Golden Gate. It is the church of St. Martin, built in the corridor for the guards, probably in the 6th century
The Silver Gate in Split is located in the eastern part of the palace and was very similar in structure to the Golden Gate. The silver door was located between two towers, and next to them were four more towers overlooking the east entrance to the palaces. This door was dedicated to St. Apollinarus I, like the Golden Gate, had a church in the watchtower. The history of the silver door was very turbulent, with many great mentions, so in the meantime the church disappeared. The porta orientalis, as the gate was originally called, was built in the Middle Ages for security reasons. The Venetians, who ruled the city for some time, in 1764 opened and used the so-called Little Gate. Great changes were caused by World War II. The wall covering the door was damaged and it was decided to remove it completely.