St. James Park is the oldest Royal park in London. This park is not only popular for its beauty, but also for its location, as it is situated in the very heart of London, next to Buckingham Palace. St. James’s Park used to be covered in marshland. In the 13th century, a hospital was constructed on the grounds which treated patients with leprosy. It was after this hospital, called St. James’s Hospital, that the park got its name. In 1532, King Henry VIII bought the grounds and constructed St. James’s Palace there.
The park spreads over an area of 23 hectares, and King Henry VIII used it as his personal hunting grounds. At the end of 17th century, the marshland was completely dried up and the park was created. Charles II ordered that the park be renovated to resemble the Royal parks of France, and this is the look that the park has to this day.
The park has a view of the Royal residence, Buckingham Palace. It is frequently visited by tourists who are visiting the Palace, or who wanted to see the changing of the guard.
The park also has an artificial lake. It is rich in flora and fauna, which makes its guests forget that they are in the center of London.
The park is open from 05:00 am to 00:00 am.