Mostar is an amazing city, with a large number of cultural sights that attract many tourists from all over the world. It is impossible not to walk along the Old Bridge, not to see the rivers of the city of Mostar, the kujundžiluk, the crooked bridge, the gymnasium, the Koski-Mehmed Pasha mosque and many other attractions. Mostar is a city of famous poets as well as the first cultural magazines whose printing began right here.
The Old Bridge - In 1557, the Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent "ordered" the construction of the Old Bridge to replace the then existing old suspension bridge. Its construction took nine years. Only legends about the construction of this bridge have been preserved, and one of them is about its builder Hajrudin - it is written that the bridge was built under threat of death, in case the bridge is not completed properly. And so, in fear, for a full nine years.
The Kajtaz house was built in the late 16th century. It used to be a harem for a Turkish judge. This is the oldest preserved house in Mostar and is located near the Old Bridge in a settlement called Luka. It gives visitors a feeling as if they are back in the 15th century. When visitors enter the house they will see four rooms. Four rooms for Kajtaz's wives. The first woman's room is the largest and the only one with a "normal" door where a woman could enter without bending down, and this represented some power or authority, while the other three women had to bend down when entering their rooms.
The Mostar Gymnasium - Mostar is rich in many architectural buildings, including the most famous gymnasium, the former gymnasium named Aleksa Šantić. It was founded in 1893, and shortly afterwards its left and right "wings" were added, and that appearance has been retained to this day. It was one of the first and most recognized schools in the old Yugoslavia attended by many famous scholars and philosophers.
Clock Tower - There are many incorrect, that is, unaccepted rumors about who first built the Clock Tower, and one of them is that it was Ibrahim Šarić in 1636, ie his wife Fatima as Ibrahim's endowment. The rumor is based on the fact that Ibrahim ordered that 3 akca be given to the repair that takes care of the clock on the tower, and that one akca be spent daily on oil and another needed to maintain the clock on it.
The Partisan Memorial Cemetery is located in the western part of the town on Bijeli Brijeg and was built in 1965. It is known for the fact that it was built in honor of the Yugoslav partisans in Mostar who died in the Second World War. It was built by the architect Bogdan Bogdanović. This memorial cemetery is a symbol of the city on the Neretva and is located in the western part of Mostar. The cemetery has 810 tombstones and each of them has a symbolic meaning. The shapes of the plaques are reminiscent of a sad tree or a symbol of interrupted youth to fallen fighters. In 2006, the cemetery was declared a national monument of Bosnia and Herzegovina.