Sukkerhuset - the house of sugar

 Sukkerhuset - the house of sugar

Sukkerhuset or Sugar House is one of the oldest preserved factories in the country. It is located in Sverres Gate 15 on Kalvskinnet in Trondheim, with a burgundy and yellow facade, with lots of small white windows, it looks impressive and you will not miss it. This sugar factory was built in 1754 and served as such until the middle of the 19th century. The owners imported raw sugar from the Caribbean with their ships and produced refined sugar in Sukkerhuset. Thanks to this production, sugar companies in Trondheim, such as Kristal, Erbe and Nidar, developed.
From 1851, the house was sold to Erich Christian Dahl, who in 1856 founded the brewery E. C. Dahls Bryggeri. The brewery was housed in the building until 1984. In 1927, the building was protected by the National Heritage Committee and is today owned by E. C. Dahls Eiendom.

Over time, the appearance of the house has changed, but not to a great extent, the house still has elements of Baroque and Rococo. The bigger changes were made to the interior of the house.

Today Sukkerhuset is a student pub run by students. They organize concerts at this place, gather to socialize and make student parties, karaoke, quizzes and the like.

Working hours: The student pub is open to all students on Thursdays (from 2pm to 12:30am) and on Fridays (from 2pm to 01:30am)

Author of the text:

Maja Glavaš, Bachelor with Honours in Communicology. Works in Tourism.
Contact: [email protected]; instagram: travel_europe1

Contact uses cookies to improve and personalize the content and ads. Find out more about cookies and how to opt-out of tracing cookies in our Privacy policy.